Build the proposed structure for buckminsterfullerene
your Cochrane's Molecular Models. Consider the following
questions while inspecting your model.
- How many five- and six-membered rings are there in the truncated icosahedron?
Answer: twelve 5's and twenty 6's.
- Are the five-membered rings isolated or contiguous?
the six-membered rings?
- How many different kinds of vertices are there?
- How many different kinds of edges are there?
Answer: two, those that lie between
two six-membered rings and those that lie between one six- and one five-membered ring.
- How many of each kind of edge are there?
Answer: 30 of the 6-6 variety and 60 of
the 6-5 type.
- Given that the average edge is approximately 1.4
Å long, estimate the size of the cavity
(diameter and volume).
Answer: Diameter is ~ 7
Å and volume is
~ 180 Å.
Return to previous page