Build a model of the seventy-atom fullerene in which there
are no contiguous pentagons.
A model of C can be constructed from the C model
by separating C in halves and then inserting a ring of
ten additional atoms. The result is a football-shaped molecule.
Consider the following questions while inspecting your model.
- How many five- and six-membered rings are there
Answer: twelve 5's and twenty-five 6's.
- How many different kinds of vertices are there?
- How many of each kind of vertex are there?
Answer: The five kinds of
vertices are present in a ratio of 10:10:20:20:10.
- How many edges are there?
- How many different kinds of edges are there?
Answer: eight. There are four
types of 6-6 ring fusions and four types of 6-5 ring fusions.
- How many 6-6 ring fusions and 6-5 ring fusions are there?
Answer: 45 of the 6-6 variety and 60 of the 6-5 type.
- Given that the average edge is approximately 1.4 Å long, estimate the size of the cavity
(length and width).
Answer: Length is ~ 7.6 Å and width is ~ 6.4 Å.
Return to previous page